The Laboratory of Telecommunication Networks and integrated Services (TNS) is a research, educational and development unit, operating within the Department of Digital Systems, of the University of Piraeus. The main objective of the lab is to conduct research and promote new knowledge in all areas related to telecommunication networks and services by establishing collaborations with relevant and interdisciplinary institutions and industry sectors with the ultimate purpose to contribute to the realization of a human-centric Information and Communication Society.
The conducted research is enabled through the participation of the lab members in numerous national, European and international research and development programs and the formation of partnerships with other organizations, public or private, higher education institutions and Greek or foreign research centers.
Some of these initiatives of the TNS members include partnerships within the FP5-6-7, H2020, and individual partnerships with leading companies (e.g., mobile operators, vendors etc.) in the following thematic areas:
- Wireless and Mobile Broadband Networks, 5G, 6G
- Cloud, Mobile Cloud and Edge Computing
- Smart Grids, Smart Energy, Smart Cities, Intelligent Transportation Systems
- IoT, Wearables, Machines, Nano-networks
- Energy Efficient Fixed and Mobile Network Infrastructures
- Big Data Platforms, Smart/ Cognitive/ Autonomic Management, Predictive Analytics
- Software design/ development/ experimentation
- Software Defined Networking (SDN)/ Network Function Virtualization (NFV)